This is an at-a-glance checklist to help you maintain a healthy horse.
- Eyes – Should be bright and clear.
- Mucous Membranes – Should be pink and moist
- Capillary Refill – Should be around 1 second
- Skin and Coat – Coat should have a shine and be free of visible injury.
- Gut – Gurgling sounds are normal
- Heart Rate – Resting heart rate is 36-44 beats per minute
- Respiratory Rate – Average 10-24 breaths per minute
- Back – Should be relaxed. Muscles should not be tense and there should be no sign of rubs or sores from the saddle or girth.
- Legs and Joints – Should have no heat or distinct swelling. Gait should be normal with no stiffness or visible discomfort.
- Hooves – Should be free of injury, including cracks or odor.
- Attitude – Should be alert, happy and bright.
- Appetite – Should be consuming feed, hay, and water readily, as it is provided. Reluctance to eat can be a sign of illness or other issues.